Home to Bowdoin’s football, men's and women's outdoor track & field and men’s lacrosse teams, the historic Whittier Field Athletic Complex was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.
Recognized as part of the country’s historical and cultural heritage, the complex includes Whittier Field (1896), Hubbard Grandstand (1904), and the Class of 1903 Memorial Gateway (1928).
The field, considered one of the most storied football venues in the nation, is named for Dr. Frank Nathaniel Whittier (Class of 1885), Bowdoin’s first director of athletics.
The grandstand, designed by architect Henry Vaughan (1845-1917), was made possible by a gift from General Thomas H. Hubbard (Class of 1857), for whom it is named.
The Class of 1903 presented the memorial gateway (designed by Harry S. Coombs of the Class of 1901) to the College on the occasion of its 25th reunion.
Bowdoin announced plans to renovate Whittier Field and Magee Samuelson Track, named partially in honor of Olympic champion, Maine native, and Bowdoin graduate Joan Benoit Samuelson ’79. in a two-phase project that began in May 2017.