WESTFIELD, Mass. - Paced by fantastic runs by Nick Walker and Sarah Kelley, the Bowdoin College cross-country teams both raced to eighth-place finishes at the New England Division III Regional Championship on Saturday afternoon at Westfield State.
The Polar Bear women finished eighth with 216 team points, solidly in eighth place overall- 21 points behind Amherst and 112 points ahead of Wellesley. MIT won the title with 68 team points. The Bowdoin men ran to eighth with 266 points, edging Brandeis by nine points and behind Bates' 208. MIT also claimed the men's race, edging out Williams for the crown.
Men's Meet Highlights
- Nick Walker finished in a time of 25:00.01 to take tenth overall in the 8k competition. It's the best finish at New England D-III's for a Bowdoin male since Coby Horowitz took fourth at the 2013 championship.
- Matthew Jacobson finished in 31st with a time of 25:25.86 while Bridger Tomlin took 68th (26:01.20) and Sean MacDonald placed 72nd (26:04.52).
- Calvin Park rounded out the Bowdoin scorers with an 85th-place finish in 26:15.08
Women's Meet Highlights
- Sarah Kelley posted an outstanding eighth-place finish in a time of 21:36.52 in the 6k race.
It is the best finish for a Bowdoin woman at the New England regional since Anne Mojnar placed sixth at the 2008 championship.
- Demi Feder took 38th in 22:20.28 while Caroline Corban finished in 53rd in a time of 22:30.71.
- Meghan Bellerose (58th, 22:36.72) and Sarah Kinney (59th, 22:41.37) finished consecutively to round out the Polar Bear finishers
- The NCAA will announce qualifiers for next weekend's NCAA Championship in Louisville, Kentucky, on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. on NCAA.com.