MEDFORD, Mass. – For the second time in program history, the Bowdoin College volleyball team is heading to the NCAA Division III Quarterfinals.
The Polar Bears prevailed in a Cinderella run through the New England regional, capping it off with an impressive 3-0 sweep of 21st-ranked Johnson & Wales on Sunday afternoon to earn a trip to nationals in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
The NCAA will announce quarterfinal matchups on Monday when the field of eight is set.
- Despite the 3-0 final score, the Polar Bears had to grind out the win by set scores of 28-26, 26-24, 25-18.
- Bowdoin came out on fire, taking a 10-2 lead before Johnson & Wales used an 8-2 run to close the gap. The Polar Bears maintained their lead until late in the set, when the squandered three set points as the Wildcats used a 4-0 run to take a 25-24 lead. Bowdoin fended off a set point of their own, and got back-to-back kills from Caroline Flaharty and Ashley Williams to seal the 28-26 win.
- The teams played an incredibly tight second set with neither squad opening up more than a two point lead in either direction. With the set tied at 24-24, Bowdoin showed their closing power again, as Jaida Hodge-Adams put home a feed from Kate Kiser and Danielle Abrams finished off the set with a kill, 26-24.
- On the brink of a quarterfinal berth, Bowdoin never trailed in the third set, jumping to an early 5-0 lead. Johnson & Wales closed to within 21-18 late in the set, but Bowdoin responded with a 4-0 surge to clinch it, ending it on a kill by senior Danielle Abrams to win it, 25-18.
By The Numbers
- Caroline Flaharty and Ashley Williams each had 12 kills in the victory for Bowdoin with Flaharty adding 12 digs as well.
- Jaida Hodge-Adams posted nine kills while Ella Haugen (20 assists) and Kate Kiser (18 assists) split setting duties.
- Emily King had 17 digs and Allyson Hawkins had 14 defensively for Bowdoin.
- The Polar Bears completed a season sweep of Johnson & Wales, as they also beat the Wildcats in a match played at Tufts on September 28, 3-1. Since that date, the Polar Bears have gone 17-1.
- Caroline Flaharty, Cori Gray and Allyson Hawkins were all named to the All-Regional team for Bowdoin with Flaharty being named Regional MVP.
- The Polar Bears, who lost in the regional final a year ago at Babson, will be making their second-ever trip to the NCAA Division III Quarterfinals. Bowdoin also made the final eight in 2015.
- Bowdoin will play in the NCAA Quarterfinals on Thursday, November 21 at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Quarterfinal match-ups will be announced on Monday. The Championship website is available here.