BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College volleyball team concluded its regular season with its 12th straight win after a 3-0 sweep of Bates on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears celebrated Senior Day by moving to 16-6 (8-2 NESCAC) while Bates falls to 16-9 (4-6 NESCAC). Both teams will play in the NESCAC Tournament next weekend at Tufts University.
- Bowdoin posted the win by set scores of 25-19, 25-23, 25-20 over the Bobcats.
- A back-and-forth first set saw Bowdoin take control late, using a 7-2 surge to create some space as Ashley Williams and Cori Gray notched late kills to give the host a 1-0 lead.
- The Bobcats built a 20-14 lead in the second set and appeared poised to get back into the contest, but for a quick 6-0 run by the Polar Bears that tied the back on consecutive blocks by Gray. After being tied at 22, the Polar Bears scored three of the last four points, winning it on a kill from Dani Abrams to take a 2-0 advantage.
- The Polar Bears pulled ahead late in the third to seal the victory, outscoring the Bobcats 6-2 in the homestretch, ending it on another Abrams kill to complete the sweep.
By The Numbers
- Caroline Flaharty had nine kills and 20 digs in the win for Bowdoin while Cori Gray, Sophia Pahl and Danielle Abrams had seven apiece.
- Gray also had five blocks while Kate Kiser (21 assists) and Ella Haugen (18 assists) sparked the offense.
- Delaney Mayfield and Taylor Stafford-Smith had seven kills apiece to pace Bates.
- Bowdoin will be the third seed for the NESCAC Championship and will play Williams in the quarterfinals on Friday at Tufts. Match times will be announced on Monday.
- Bates will be the seventh seed and will face Wesleyan University on Friday in the opening round.