Posted: Oct 19, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin volleyball team extended its win streak to eight consecutive matches with a 3-0 win over visiting WPI on Saturday.
The Polar Bears are 12-6, while the Engineers are 12-9.
- The Polar Bears took the win in straight sets, going 25-18, 25-13, 25-23.
- The teams traded points through the opening of the first set until Bowdoin went on a 4-0 run to make it 14-8 and generate some space. The Engineers again traded points with the Polar Bears to pull within three at 19-16, before the Polar pulled out a 6-2 run.
- Bowdoin jumped out to an 8-2 lead to take control of the second set. WPI pulled within four, 12-8, but they were unable to close the gap further. Bowdoin raced to a 25-13 win to close out the set.
- The teams played a tight third set. Bowdoin went ahead 16-9, but a 6-1 run off Amanda Wetmore's serve kept WPI within striking distance, pulling within two. A series of serves from Colleen Mullins pulled the Engineers even with Bowdoin for the first time in the set, leaving the teams tied 20-20. With the Polar Bears leading 24-21, WPI staved off a pair of match points to pull within one. Sophia Pahl ended the day with a match winning kill.
By the Numbers
- Caroline Flaharty had a match-high 12 kills.
- Kate Kiser recorded 20 assists and Ella Haugen had 18.
- Emily King led both teams with 11 digs.
- Wetmore had a team-high seven kills for WPI.
- The Polar Bears play at Middlebury on October 25 at 7:00 p.m.