MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - The 15th-ranked Wesleyan University volleyball team defeated Bowdoin 3-0 in the opening match of NESCAC conference play on Friday evening.
The Cardinals move to 7-0 (1-0 NESCAC) while the Polar Bears fall to 3-5 (0-1 NESCAC).
- The Cardinals took the win by set scores of 25-21, 25-12, 25-17.
- The opening set went back-and-forth until Wesleyan used a 7-2 run to pull ahead, 17-11. Down the stretch, the Polar Bears scored 6-of-7 points to get within three, but a service error by the visitors sealed the 25-21 win for the Cardinals.
- It was all Wesleyan in the second set. The Cardinals scored the first point and never trailed, and they scored the final eight points for a decisive 25-12 victory.
- Much like the second, Wesleyan scored the first two points and never looked back. After a kill from Harper Graves put the home team ahead 20-11, Bowdoin went on a 4-0 run to cut the deficit to five, but it wasn't enough as Wesleyan claimed the win by eight points.
By The Numbers
- Ashley Williams paced Bowdoin with eight kills in the loss. Ella Haugen dished out a team-high 13 assists.
- Emily King had 18 digs while Cori Gray had four blocks defensively for the Polar Bears.
- Harper Graves led the way for Wesleyan with 12 kills and 10 digs.
- The Polar Bears will look to get back into the win column on Saturday when they play at Conn. College at 2:00 p.m.