BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's volleyball team closed its finest regular season in program history with an authoritative 3-0 win over Connecticut College on Saturday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears (24-1, 10-0 NESCAC) finish the regular season with just one loss for the first time in program history and also completed a perfect 10-0 NESCAC campaign for just the second time (2011). Connecticut College ends its year with a record of 10-15 (2-8 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin took the win by set scores of 25-16, 25-18, 25-20.
- The Polar Bears jumped to a 9-3 lead in the opening set and never trailed. After the Camels closed the gap to 15-11, Bowdoin used a 6-0 run to push the lead to double digits en route to a 1-0 lead.
- Bowdoin grabbed a 6-1 edge out of the gate in the second set. The Camels trimmed the Bowdoin lead to 15-12 midway through the frame but a 5-1 surge, sparked by a pair of Ashley Williams kills, gave the hosts an insurmountable 20-13 lead and 2-0 advantage.
- The Camels bounced back in the third set, getting a pair of early kills from Avery Light to take a 7-2 lead. Bowdoin rebounded with a 10-3 run to take their first lead of the period. The Polar Bears held a slim 19-18 lead late in the set and sealed the match with a 6-2 run to close it out, capped by a kill from Lexie Freund to seal it.
By The Numbers
- Caroline Flaharty led all players with 12 kills and also contributed two service aces for the Polar Bears.
- Sophia Pahl had ten kills and no errors to go with six digs in the win while Kate Kiser passed out 37 assists.
- Defensively, Lisa Sheldon had 17 digs and Khelsea Gordon had three blocks to go with eight kills.
- Connecticut College was paced by seven kills from Katie Howley, who also had eight digs.
- Grace McGree had 21 assists for the Camels, who got three service aces from Emma Roberts.
- Bowdoin will host the 2018 NESCAC Championship beginning next Friday, November 2. The Polar Bears will face Trinity in a quarterfinal match at 5:00 p.m.
- Complete tournament information, including pairings, will be announced at NESCAC.com on Saturday evening.