BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College volleyball team set a new program record for best start to a season in a 3-0 non-conference win over Bates on Tuesday night.
The Polar Bears improve to 19-1 this fall, breaking the mark set by the 2011 squad. Bates falls to 9-7 this season with the setback.
- Bowdoin took the victory by set scores of 25-20, 25-12, 27-25.
- The Polar Bears took command late in the opening set to grab a 1-0 lead. Up 20-19, Bowdoin closed the set on a 5-1 run, sparked by a kill from setter Kate Kiser.
- Bowdoin cruised in the second set, jumping to a 10-2 lead and leading by double digits throughout to take a 2-0 advantage.
- The third set was easily the most competitive of the night and the Bobcats appeared poised to force a fourth, holding a 22-18 lead and serving for the set at 24-23. But Caroline Flaharty tied the score for Bowdoin and the Polar Bears took advantage of two late attack errors to clinch the win.
By The Numbers
- Caroline Flaharty led Bowdoin with 11 kills and 15 digs in the win while Sophia Pahl pitched in nine kills and eight digs along with two service aces.
- Kate Kiser posted 32 assists while Lisa Sheldon earned 23 digs for the Polar Bears. Cori Gray had three blocks.
- Taylor Stafford-Smith led the Bobcats with nine kills and 18 digs while Delaney Mayfield pitched in seven kills.
- Gabi Eustache totaled 14 digs for Bates while Megan Seabury had 13.
- Bowdoin heads to Massachusetts this weekend for the Hall of Fame Invitational, where they will open against Bridgewater State at Smith College on Friday at 7:00 p.m.