BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's volleyball team earned a key 3-1 win over Amherst in a NESCAC match on Saturday afternoon in Morrell Gymnasium
The Polar Bears remain perfect in NESCAC play and improve to 16-1 (7-0 NESCAC) this year. The Mammoths fall to 12-3 (4-2 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin won by game scores of 25-9, 22-25, 25-20, 26-24.
- The Polar Bears led 7-5 in the early going of the opening set and used a 10-0 run to take complete command en route to a convincing 25-9 victory.
- Bowdoin led the second set 21-17 before the Mammoths rallied with a 5-0 surge to take a 22-21 lead. Bowdoin tied the score, but Amherst won the final two points to even the score at 1-1.
- The Polar Bears jumped ahead early in the third, taking a 7-2 lead out of the gate and never trailing in the 25-20 victory to take a 2-1 advantage.
- The fourth set was the most competitive of the day, with the teams trading blows until late in the set. Leading 24-23, Amherst was serving to force a fifth set, but a kill by Caroline Flaharty sparked a game-ending 3-0 run by the Polar Bears to seal the 3-1 win.
By The Numbers
- Caroline Flaharty was outstanding again for Bowdoin, totaling 20 kills with just four errors to go with 15 digs in the victory.
- Ashley Williams had 12 kills while Sydney Salle had 11 for the Polar Bears.
- Kate Kiser sparked the attack with 49 assists and Lisa Sheldon had a match-high 22 digs for the hosts.
- Amherst was led by 12 kills from Emily Kolsky and received 34 assists and 11 digs from Charlotte Duran.
- Skyleur Savage led the visitors with 19 digs in the defeat.
- Bowdoin had 16 total blocks in the match while Amherst committed 27 attack errrors.
- The Polar Bears head to Endicott on Friday, October 12 for a non-conference match at 6:00 p.m. followed by another important NESCAC match at Middlebury on the 13th.
- Amherst begins a six-match homestand by hosting Hamilton on Friday evening at 7:00 p.m.