WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The Bowdoin College volleyball team triumphed in another dramatic five-set NESCAC match on Friday evening – this time in a 3-2 victory at Williams College.
The Polar Bears remain unbeaten in conference play and improve to 11-1 (4-0 NESCAC) while the Ephs fall to 7-6 (2-2 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin came away with the win thanks to set scores of 24-26, 25-20, 13-25, 25-20, 15-11
- The Polar Bears let the first set slip away as they held a 24-21 advantage following a kill by Kate Kiser, only to see the Ephs roll off five consecutive points to take the 1-0 lead.
- Bowdoin jumped ahead from the outset of the second set, opening up an eight point lead and holding off Williams for a 25-20 win that knotted the match at 1-1.
- Williams sprinted to a 14-5 lead in the third set and cruised to a 25-13 win and 2-1 lead.
- With the fourth set close, Bowdoin used a 6-2 surge, capped by a Sophia Pahl kill to take a 16-9 lead and finished off the set with a kill by Sydney Salle to force the tiebreaking fifth.
- Williams took a 5-3 lead in the fifth set, but Bowdoin answered with 6-1 run to take the lead for good. The Ephs closed to within 11-9, but kills by Ashley Williams and Sophia Pahl put Williams away in the eventual 15-11 win.
By The Numbers
- Sydney Salle had a season-high 15 kills and eight total blocks to lead Bowdoin to the victory.
- The Polar Bears also got double-doubles from Caroline Flaharty (12 kills, 15 digs) and Sophia Pahl (11 kills, 15 digs).
- Ashley Williams notched 13 kills, Kate Kiser had 52 assists and Lisa Sheldon posted 23 digs for Bowdoin in the victory.
- Mia Weinland led all players with 25 kills for Williams.
- Bowdoin heads to Clinton, N.Y. on Saturday for a pair of matches at Hamilton College, against Hamilton (1:00 p.m.) and SUNY Polytechnic (3:00 p.m.).