BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bates College women's indoor track and field team won the 2019 Maine State Championship on Friday night at Farley Field House.
The Bobcats repeated as state champions with a score of 237 points, edging out host Bowdoin College (231). Colby (104.5), Southern Maine (95.5) and Husson (40) rounded out the competitors.
- The Polar Bears boasted four individual state champions and a relay win in the meet.
- Leading the way was first-year pole vaulter Sophia Slovenski, who set a new state meet record with a height of 12'00" (3.66m) to claim first place by 18 inches.
- Belinda Saint Louis won the shot put with a distance of 37'11.25" (11.56m), defeating the second-place finisher from Bates by a half-inch.
- Julia O'Rourke won the 5000M (17:39.04) while the Polar Bears took a 1-2 finish in the 400M in a photo finish first-place by Sara Ory (1:00.04), over Emma Beane (1:00.04).
- The men's state championship will be held Saturday evening at the University of Southern Maine.
- The women's team will return to action at the Hemery Invitational in Boston on February 9.