BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College men's and women's indoor track & field teams enjoyed a successful season-opening Bowdoin Invitational I on Saturday at Farley Field House.
The Polar Bear men came away with a first-place finish in the meet while the Polar Bear women took second place overall in the seven-team field.
Men: 1. Bowdoin (213), 2. WPI (188), 3. Conn. College (63), 4. RIC (44), 5. Husson (23), 6. Wheaton (12), 7. St. Joseph's (8)
Women: 1. WPI (178), 2. Bowdoin (158), 3. Wheaton (84.5), 4. Conn. College (64), 5. RIC (51), 6. Husson (39.5), 7. St. Joseph's (9)
Women's Meet Highlights
- The Bowdoin women dominated the middle and long-distance events at the meet, getting wins from Sarah Kelley in the 1000M (3:02.79), Sarah Kinney in the 3000M (10:40.70) and Julia O'Rourke in the 5000M (18:43.72).
- First-year Claire Traum won her first collegiate event, taking the women's 600M (1:40.82) while Caroline Shipley (2:23.16) and Erin Hollenbaugh went 1-2 in the women's 800M race
- Eliza Jevon, Sadie Saxton, Hollenbaugh and Traum led Bowdoin to a win in the 4x800 meter relay (10:09.67)
- In the field events, Bowdoin earned a pair of wins in the long jump from Morgen Gallagher (5.30m) and in the shot put from first-year Belinda Saint Louis (11.59m).
Men's Meet Highlights
- Bowdoin's depth and performance in the field events led the way to the team victory in the men's meet.
- John Pietro was a double-winner for the Polar Bears, claiming the shot put (16.18m) and the weight throw (16.05m)
- John Kennealy won the 800M run (1:59.39) while Sean McDonald led a 1-2-3 finish for Bowdoin in the 3000M (8:46.57).
- Brian Greenberg won the triple jump (14.65m) and took second in the long jump (6.66m).
- The Polar Bears will return to action again next weekend at the Bowdoin Invitational II at Farley Field House.