BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin outdoor track and field teams swept their respective meets at the Bowdoin Invitational II hosted at Magee-Samuelson Track on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bear women edged Middlebury and Southern Maine in a hotly-contested meet while the Bowdoin ran away from the field in the men's meet.
Men's Meet: 1. Bowdoin (161), 2. Middlebury (92), 3. Husson (36)
Women's Meet: 1. Bowdoin (91), 2. Middlebury (89), 3. USM (82), 4. Husson (36)
- For the second straight week, John Pietro swept the throwing events in the men's meet, claiming the hat trick with personal bests in the shot put (15.16m), the discus (44.57m) and a first place showing in the hammer throw (51.82m).
- Pamela Zabala won a pair of events, claiming the shot put (11.66m) and the discus (38.63m) in the women's meet.
- Joe Staudt also won two competitions: the 110m hurdles (14.87) and the high jump (1.88m) for the Bowdoin men.
- On the women's side, Bowdoin also got wins from Samantha Schaefer in the 200m dash (26.48), Georgia Bolduc in the 400m dash (1:00.71), Caroline Shipley in the 800m (2:20.92), Meghan Bellerose in the 1500m (4:47.42), Sarah Kinney in the 3000m steeplechase (11:44.11) and Ellen Masalsky in the javelin (40.94m)
- In the men's meet, Bowdoin dominated with first-place showings from Yaw Sekyere in the 100m (11.09), Owen Tuck in the 200m (22.58), Conor Donahue in the 800m (1:57.76), Bennett Sneath in the 1500m (4:07.35), Matt Jacobson in the 5000m (14:57.53), Alan Banks in the 400m hurdles (58.24) and Ben Torda in the 3000m steeplechase (9:16.16).
- Bowdoin's two relays took first, with Tuck, Colin Tiernan, Stephan DeCarlo and Sekyere in the 4x100 (43.69) and Tiernan, Isaac Schuchat, Donahue and John Kennealy in the 4x400 (3:30.08).
- In the field events, the Polar Bear men were also victorious with Brian Greenberg in the long jump (6.52m) and Huma Dadachanji in the triple jump (13.29m).
- The Polar Bears are primed for championship season to begin next weekend as the women host the annual Aloha Relays beginning Friday and continuing Saturday at Magee-Samuelson Track. The men's team will travel to compete in the Maine State Championship at Bates on Saturday.