BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College indoor track & field teams opened its season with strong showings at a home invitational at Farley Field House on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bear women took first of seven teams by a half-point margin while the men placed second in a seven-team field, nine points behind WPI.
Womens Scores: 1. Bowdoin (125.5), 2. WPI (125), 3. Conn. College (117), 4. Wheaton (98.5), Husson (47), Colby-Sawyer (43), St. Joseph's (8)
Men's Scores: 1. WPI (206), 2. Bowdoin (195), Conn. College (68), Colby-Sawyer (31), Wheaton (27), St. Joseph's (12), Thomas (4)
Women's Meet Highlights
- Sara Ory placed first in the 400m dash (1:02.96) while Meghan Bellerose took first in the 1000m (3:04.66).
- Demi Feder won the 3000m (10:38.98) and Julia O'Rourke took first in the 5000m (18:55.62).
- Bowdoin's 4x400 relay team of Eleanor Brakewood, Georgia Bolduc, Ory and Bellerose took first in 4:15.95
- In the field events, Morgen Gallagher won the long jump (5.16m).
Men's Meet Highlights
- Joseph Staudt set a new Bowdoin record in the trials of the 60m hurdles (8.45) and then won the event with a time of 8.50 in the finals.
- Brian Greenberg claimed both the long jump (6.52m) and triple jump (14.14m) events for the Polar Bears.
- Bowdoin went 1-2 in the weight throw with a pair of personal bests from John Pietro (16.05m) and Vincent LaRovere (15.24m).
- Calvin Park placed first in the 5000m run (15:41.03) while Bowdoin's 4x400 relay team of Conor Donahue, Owen Tuck, Liam Nicoll and John Kenealy took first in 3:31.51.
- Bowdoin hosts its second consecutive invitational next Saturday, Jan. 21 at Farley Field House beginning at 1:00 p.m.