MEDFORD, Mass. – The Bowdoin women's soccer team suffered a 1-0 overtime loss to Tufts In the regular season finale on Tuesday afternoon.
The Polar Bears finish the regular season with a record of 7-7-1 (3-6-1 NESCAC) and have qualified for the conference tournament which begins on Saturday. Complete pairings will be announced on Wednesday evening.
- Tufts controlled play in the first half, outshooting the Polar Bears 10-4, and held a 6-1 corner kick advantage.
- Bowdoin played steady defense along the back line and used transition plays to push into the Jumbos defensive end.
- The Polar Bears most promising look came in the 71st minute as Isa Quintana banked a shot off the crossbar.
- In the waning minutes of regulation, Lily Sykes had a clear look at net but hit the crossbar causing the ball to bounce down and back into play.
- Tufts started overtime with the ball and maintained possession to tally the game's lone goal. Just 34 seconds into extra time, Claire Wilkinson worked the ball down the right side and made a quick cross to Sophia Lloyd who finished it off.
By the Numbers
- Tufts held a 21-9 edge in shots.
- The Jumbos had an 8-4 corner kick advantage.
- Penny Rocchio made nine saves to keep the Polar Bears in the game,
- Hayley Bernstein had a four stop shutout.
- The Polar Bears will play a NESCAC First Round game on Saturday. Complete tournament details will be announced on Wednesday following the conclusion of league play.