Posted: Nov 09, 2019
The Polar Bears advance to next Sunday's NIRA Division III Championship at Harvard University against the University of New England.
- Bowdoin opened the scoring in the first two minutes off a penalty play with a strong run from 10 meters out by Safiya Osei. Sage Kashner converted the try, giving Bowdoin the 7-0 lead.
- Off a turnover by the Polar Bears in their defensive end, Norwich's #6 Emily Ngo poached the ball from a quick ruck and ran 10 meters for the score. Outside center #4 Emma Paradis converted the try, knotting the score 7-7.
- Both teams had opportunities in the next 33 minutes of the first half but none were converted into points, as the defense outshined the attach.
- The second half was more of the same with a lot of back and forth action until the 15 minute mark. Bowdoin capitalized on a penalty inside Norwich territory. #12 Jenna Clukey kicked the penalty into touch giving Bowdoin the lineout at the 5 meter line. Bowdoin's jumper Amber Ramos won the ball, the forward pack drove the maul forward and scrumhalf Sara Nelson took the ball to the weak side and dove over the try line for what would be the only score of the 2nd half, giving the hosts a 12-7 advantage.
- Bowdoin dominated much of the next 25 minutes inside Norwich territory but were thwarted by a stout Norwich defense.
- The Cadets threatened in the final 5 minutes of the match but Bowdoin's defense held on, recovering possession and taking the ball into touch to end the game.
By The Numbers
- Ashlynn Autrey led Bowdoin with seven tackles, Lucy Noel had five, and Nelson, Claire Carges, Clukey and Kendra Clifton added four apiece.
- Sophia Karris led the team with four long carries; strong carries also came from Ella Garnett, Hannah Zuklie, Lucy Noel and Kendra Clifton.
- Bowdoin won all its scrums and jumpers Amber Ramos and Hannah Zuklie captured all Bowdoin's lineout ball.
- Bowdoin faces UNE at Harvard University on Sunday, November 17 in the NIRA Division III title match.