Posted: Oct 19, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – A late rally by Vassar College defeated Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon at Pickard Field, 32-24.
The Polar Bears see their four-match win streak come to an end as they fall to 5-2 this season.
- Bowdoin's Kendra Clifton opened the scoring in the seventh minute with a breakaway try in the corner.
- Vassar enjoyed most of the possession for the remainder of the first half and notched a pair of unconverted tries at 19 and 24 minutes, giving the visitors a 10-5 lead with under a minute to play.
- Gaining possession off a Vassar mistake after the kickoff, Bowdoin's scrumhalf Sara Nelson fed the ball quick and wide to Sophia Karris who fed winger Ella Garnett, who out sprinted Vassar's defense 70 meters to dot the ball under the posts. Sage Kashner converted the try to give Bowdoin the halftime lead of 12-10.
- Bowdoin extended the lead 10 minutes in with another long run from Clifton, converted by Kashner, to move the score to 19-10.
- Ten minutes later, with Bowdoin playing down a player, Vassar struck again to pull to 19-15, but an Ashlynn Autrey penalty play busted in from 8 meters out, extending Bowdoin's lead to 24-15.
- However, a pair of late, costly mistakes and playing short down aided Vassar's comeback as the Brewers took a 25-24 lead with just two minutes to go.
- The Polar Bears regained possession and looked to add one more try for the win, but a costly penalty turned the ball over and Vassar added a converted try at the final whistle to create the final margin, 32-24.
By The Numbers
- Ashlynn Autrey and Catherine Patti made 15 tackles apiece for Bowdoin.
- Victoria Williamson added 12 while Safiya Osei, Claire Carges, Kashner, Lucy Noel and Allegra Bersani had 11 each.
- The Polar Bears finished with an 86.5 tackle percentage (122-141)
- Bowdoin will look to rebound next weekend as they head to Biddeford to battle in-state rival University of New England at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.