Oct 05, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin women's rugby team used a late rally to defeat Norwich on Homecoming Saturday, 27-17, at Pickard Field.
The Polar Bears improve to 5-1 overall this season with the victory.
- Allegra Bersani opened the scoring for the Polar Bears 15 minutes into the first half with a hard running try. Molly Petronzio converted the try with a kick from a wide angle.
- Norwich responded with a good series of plays marching down the field to score an unconverted try in the corner, cutting the Bowdoin lead to 7-5.
- Bowdoin worked up field with a series of strong carries, and forced a penalty from Norwich, which Sage Kashner converted for three more points.
- Approximately ten minutes before halftime Norwich struck again with another unconverted try in the corner to tie the game at 10:10 at the half.
- In the second half, the back-and-forth action continued as Sara Nelson took a quick tap penalty on the 5-meter line and dove for the try to go ahead 15-10.
- Norwich again responded six minutes later with a try of their own and a conversion kick, taking the lead 17 -15, midway through the second half.
- The Polar Bears took command from there, getting a pair of tries from fullback Sophia Karris. Kashner converted the second try to give Bowdoin their final margin of victory, 27-17.
- Ashlynn Autrey led all tacklers with 11, while Claire Carges, Amber Ramos and Jenna Clukey added seven each.
- The Polar Bears will enjoy an off weekend for break next Saturday and will return to action on October 19 at home against Vassar.