GENEVA, N.Y. – The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team overwhelmed William Smith, 13-5, in the second round of the NCAA Division III Tournament Sunday afternoon.
The 14th-ranked Polar Bears (10-7) move on to face familiar foe Middlebury in the third round next Saturday, May 18. The 13th-ranked Herons suffer their most lopsided loss of the season and end their year with a record of 17-3.
- The teams traded blows in the opening 12 minutes as the hosts took a slim 2-1 lead courtesy of a Kelsey Williams goal with 18:18 remaining in the first half.
- Bowdoin took command from there, using a 5-0 run that gave them the lead for good.
- Katie Miller, Sophia Schaefer and Kara Finnerty all scored in a span of 2:06 to give the Polar Bears a 4-2 edge with 13:23 left in the period.
- Fiona Bundy closed the run with a pair of goals as Bowdoin took a 6-3 lead into intermission.
- Any thoughts of a comeback by the Herons were quickly extinguished as Sophia Schaefer sparked a three-goal surge by Bowdoin in the first 4:11 of the second half, upping the lead to 9-3.
- A William Smith goal only slightly stemmed the tide, as Bowdoin put the game on ice with another three-goal surge from Amanda Anderson, Miller and Bundy's fifth of the game to make it 12-4 Polar Bears with 17:54 to go.
- Bowdoin's defense took over from there, holding William Smith to a season-low five goals and forcing 24 turnovers in the victory.
By The Numbers
- In her first NCAA Tournament game, Fiona Bundy matched her career high with five goals, equaling the Herons' entire output as a team.
- Katie Miller added four goals and six draw controls an assist while Sophia Schaefer had two goals and five draws for the Polar Bears.
- William Smith was led by two goals and an assist from Payton McMahon.
- Bowdoin got six saves (against just four goals) in 44:50 from Erin Morrissey while Aaliyah Biondo made a save over the final 15:10.
- Bowdoin dominated the draws, holding a critical 15-5 advantage on the dot. That helped result in a commanding 27-17 shot advantage for the Polar Bears.
- The Polar Bears also converted on six free position attempts, including 4-4 in the second half.
- Bowdoin will return to the NCAA Tournament's third round for the second straight season. The Polar Bears will play at Middlebury on Saturday, May 18, in a rematch of a high-scoring regular season match that saw the Panthers come away with a 21-18 win. Game time is set for 11:30 a.m.