MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team couldn't overcome an early deficit in a 19-11 loss to Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears see their five-game winning streak come to an end as they fall to 7-5 (4-4 NESCAC). The Cardinals improve to 11-2 (6-2 NESCAC).
- Wesleyan opened the game on an 8-1 run, as Abby Manning keyed the run with a trio of goals to give the hosts the early edge.
- Bowdoin got consecutive goals from Katie Miller and Eliza Denious, but the Cardinals maintained a six-goal lead, 11-5, at halftime.
- The Cardinals opened the second half on a 4-1 surge as back-to-back goals from Caitlin Wood pushed the lead to nine goals 15-6, with 22:03 to go.
- Bowdoin attempted to climb back into the contest as two goals from Kara Finnerty and two from Katie Miller cut the lead to 15-10 with 8:19 remaining.
- The Polar Bears could get no closer than that, however, as the Cardinals ended the game on a 4-1 run to seal the win.
By The Numbers
- Katie Miller scored five goals for Bowdoin while Kara Finnerty had three for the Polar Bears.
- Abby Manning led Wesleyan with five goals while Julia Gretsky had two goals and three assists.
- Morgan Pinado had five draw controls for Bowdoin while Finnerty had two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- Allegra Grant stopped ten shots in goal for the Cardinals while Erin Morrissey (five saves, 11 GA) and Aaliyah Biondo (three saves, 8 GA) split halves in net for the Polar Bears.
- Wesleyan had a 38-33 lead in shots and converted on 6-13 from free position.
- Bowdoin will look to bounce back on Wednesday night when they host Endicott at 7:00 p.m.