BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Tufts University women's lacrosse team used a big run to open the second half and held off a late rally to defeat Bowdoin, 11-10, on Wednesday evening on the final day of the regular season in the NESCAC.
Regardless of the result, both teams will host NESCAC Quarterfinals on Saturday. Tufts (12-3, 8-2) will be the third seed and will host Trinity. Bowdoin won a random draw to break a three-way tie for the fourth seed and will host fifth-seeded Wesleyan on Saturday at noon.
- In a torrential rainstorm throughout the game, Tufts gained an early lead, scoring the first three goals of the contest, including a pair from Emily Games.
- Bowdoin answered with a four-goal surge to take the lead, sparked by two goals from Eliza Denious.
- The squads traded goals to end the half as the Polar Bears owned a 6-5 lead at the break.
- Tufts rolled off a decisive 5-0 run to open the second half, extending their lead to 10-6 wioth 22:04 remaining following consecutive goals from Dakota Adamec.
- Bowdoin rallied, scoring four of the next five goals, closing to within 11-10 with 1:08 left on a Kara Finnerty goal.
- Tufts won the ensuing draw and maintained possession for the final minute to claim the victory.
By The Numbers
- The statistics were nearly as even as the final score, with Bowdoin holding a 34-31 edge in shots and Tufts owning a 12-11 edge in draws. Both teams committed 16 turnovers.
- Kara Finnerty had two goals and two assists for Bowdoin while Eliza Denious had a hat trick.
- Emily Games finished with a game-high five goals for Tufts.
- Maddie Norman of Tufts paced all players with five draw controls.
- Tufts' Audrey Evers finished with 13 saves while Bowdoin's Kayli Weiss posted 11.
- Both teams host NESCAC Quarterfinals on Saturday. Bowdoin plays host to Wesleyan at noon on Saturday.