WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - First-year Katie Miller scored the game-winning goal with under two minutes remaining to give the Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team a crucial 10-9 comeback win over Williams on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (11-3, 6-3 NESCAC) will enter the final game of the regular season on Wednesday night with a chance at a conference quarterfinal home game. The Ephs fall to 6-8 (2-7 NESCAC).
- Williams jumped to a 5-2 lead in the opening half thanks to a pair of Kara Wollmers goals midway through the period.
- Bowdoin's Elizabeth Growney and Hannah Hirschfeld scored 20 seconds apart late in the half to trim the lead to 5-4 at halftime.
- After Katie Miller tied the score for Bowdoin early in the second half, Sophia Millay sparked a 3-0 run for Williams to give the hosts a 8-5 lead with under 14 minutes to go.
- Paige Brown trimmed the lead to 8-6 with a goal at 11:22 and Eliza Denious notched consecutive goals just 27 seconds apart to tie the game at 8-8 with 10:01 remaining.
- Kate Kelly gave Bowdoin the lead at 9:30 before Williams rebounded to tie the score on a Meghan Halloran goal with 6:40 left.
- Bowdoin was called for a yellow card with two minutes remaining but a save by Kayli Weiss and good clear by Bowdoin set up the game-winner by Miller with 1:57 to go.
- Weiss added a late save on a Claire Fitzpatrick shot with just seconds remaining to clinch the win for Bowdoin.
By The Numbers
- Katie Miller, Eliza Denious and Kate Kelly all scored twice in the win for Bowdoin.
- Kara Finnerty had four draw controls while Halsey McKinney caused two turnovers for the Polar Bears.
- Hannah Hirschfeld and Allison Williams had two assists apiece.
- Kayli Weiss ended with five saves in the victory for Bowdoin.
- Bowdoin hosts Tufts in their regular season finale on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears have a chance at a home NESCAC Quarterfinal next Saturday, pending a victory and other results from around the league on Wednesday night.