BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Trinity College women's lacrosse team held off a late Bowdoin rally to take a 12-7 victory in a battle of top-ten teams on Sunday afternoon at Ryan Field.
The sixth-ranked Bantams improve to 9-1 (5-0 NESCAC) while the eighth-ranked Polar Bears fall to 6-2 (3-2 NESCAC).
- Trinity jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first ten minutes and rode the hot play of goaltender Zoe Ferguson to carry a four-goal lead into the break.
- Allie Barrett scored three first-half goals and Ferguson made ten saves in the opening half for the Bantams.
- Hannah Hirschfeld accounted for the lone Bowdoin goal as Trinity carried a 5-1 lead into intermission.
- Clare Lyne sparked a 3-1 run out of the break to extend the visitors' lead to 8-2 before Bowdoin began its furious attempt at a comeback.
- Kelsey Gallagher opened a 5-1 run for Bowdoin which saw her score three times, including a goal with 8:02 remaining that trimmed the lead to 9-7 with 8:02 to go.
- Trinity won the ensuing draw control, however, and finished a long possession with a Abby McInerney goal at 6:17 to regain a three-goal lead and Lyne added another score just 15 seconds later to put the contest out of reach.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin owned a 29-19 advantage in shots and forced 18 Trinity turnovers, but couldn't overcome a 15-save effort by Ferguson.
- Bowdoin's Kayli Weiss made two saves in 34:23 of action while Erin Morrissey was not credited with a stop over the final 25:37.
- Clare Lyne led all scorers with four goals and three assists for Trinity while Allie Barrett ended with four goals as well. Abby McInerney had a game-high four draw controls.
- Bowdoin was paced by four goals from Kelsey Gallagher while Kara Finnerty had three caused turnovers and two draw controls.
- Bowdoin will travel to Lewiston to face Bates on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m.
- Trinity heads to New London to battle Connecticut College on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. as well.