BRUNSWICK, Maine – Miranda Bell scored in regulation and overtime to lift the Bowdoin women's hockey team to a 2-1 overtime victory over nationally ranked Middlebury on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (2-13-1, 1-7-0 NESCAC) pick up their first conference win of the season in dramatic fashion. The seventh-ranked Panthers 9-1-3 (5-1-2 NESCAC) entered the game without a blemish in NESCAC play.
- The Panthers held a 13-3 shot advantage in the opening period, but neither team was able to convert. Madie Leidt broke out down the left boards with Jenna Letterie skating down center. Leidt wristed a shot into the chest of Kerri St. Denis.
- Meghan Keating put a diving shot on net after a feed from the right corner, but St. Denis made a kick save to preserve the clean slate. Leidt forced St. Denis to make another quick blocker save minutes later.
- The Polar Bears took their first lead of the series on a power play 3:27 into the second. Katie Leininger pulled the puck from behind the net and fed Bell at the left point. Bell traded the puck with Brooke Solomon inside the blue line before finally wristing a shot inside the far post.
- The Panthers tied the game with 2:48 remaining in the period. Leidt flipped the puck from the Panthers own blue line up to Letterie waiting outside Bowdoin's zone. Letterie skated uncontested towards net and wristed a shot top shelf.
- With 3:46 remaining in regulation, Leidt controlled the puck behind St. Denis and fed Katherine Jackson in front for a quick one-timer. St. Denis made the point blank save.
- Bell scored the game-winning overtime goal with 32 seconds remaining. The senior skated center from the left boards and put a shot towards net. The puck kicked up and over Anna Goldstein to end the game.
By the Numbers
- St. Denis kept the Polar Bears in the game with 37 saves. The senior made 13 saves in both the first and third periods.
- Goldstein made 12 stops.
- Bowdoin went 1-for-2 on the power play.
- The Panthers were 0-for-4 on the power play.
- The Polar Bears hit the road for a series at Wesleyan beginning on January 25.
- The Panthers host Hamilton the same weekend with a 7:00 p.m. Friday start.