BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin women's hockey team picked up its first win of the 2018-19 season with a commanding 5-1 win over visiting Castleton on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears are 1-10-1 and conclude their out of conference schedule. The Spartans are 4-10-2.
- After sustained pressure in the Castleton zone, Bowdoin finally broke through in the final 1:35 of the opening frame. Jess Cloutier won the puck off the boards in front of Castleton's bench and fed Marissa Fichter waiting just outside the Spartan's zone. Fichter took four strides towards net and fired a wrister past Rylie Wills.
- Bowdoin doubled its lead 5:58 into the second period. Cloutier circled around the back of the net, going right to left, and found Tala Glass skating down the slot. Glass wristed a shot on net which was tipped past Wills by Miranda Bell.
- The Spartans cut the lead to one with a rebuttal tally four minutes later. Maeghan Vasile pulled the puck off the back boards and found Aimee Briand on the doorstep. Briand slipped the puck to Sophia Vingi on her side for a quick goal.
- The Polar Bears scored their second of the period with 3:16 remaining in the frame. Meg Galanos controlled the puck along the deep left boards and offered a cross ice pass towards the far right dot. A Castleton defender intercepted the puck and took a stride to clear the zone, but Glass corralled the loose puck and put a shot in the net.
- Seconds into a last minute power play for the Polar Bears, Julia Surgenor took the puck to the deep left corner in Spartan territory. Surgenor found Bell in the high slot and skated towards the right dot. Bell controlled the puck at the top and fed it back to Surgenor for 4-1 scoring edge.
- The Bowdoin offense continued to produce with a fifth goal 16 seconds into the last period. Angelina Joyce put a shot on pads and Katie Leininger poked the rebound right for Joyce to crash and finish.
By the Numbers
- Dani Marquez picked up the win in net with 13 saves.
- Willis made 13 stops in two periods of play. Alexis Kalm made 12 stops in the final frame.
- Bowdoin went 1-for-4 on the power play. Castleton was 0-for-1.
- Cloutier had a pair of assists. Glass and Bell each recorded a goal and assist.
- The Polar Bears play at Amherst on Friday and Saturday for a NESCAC series beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Castleton plays at Suffolk on Friday at 6:00 p.m.