MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Bowdoin College women's ice hockey team snapped Saint Anselm's 23-game unbeaten streak, scoring twice in the third period to take a 3-2 victory.
The Polar Bears' comeback victory improves the team to 3-0-1 on the season. The Hawks suffer their first defeat and drop to 9-1-0 this year.
- With 8:19 elapsed in the opening period, Samantha Boyer scored her second goal of the season off assists from LeFebre and Caley Mueller to give the Hawks an early lead.
- The Hawks held the lead until Brooke Solomon evened the score with a power-play goal of her own at 14:32 of the second period. After holding the puck in the zone on the left, Brigit Bergin sent the puck across to Maryanne Iodice for a one-timer from the right side that came off the far post. Solomon was first to the puck to convert in front of the net.
- Just over three minutes later, Kathleen LeFebre found the top-right corner from the middle of the right circle to give the Hawks the lead back at 2-1 after collecting a clearing attempt by Bowdoin following a shot by Mueller off the outside of the net.
- For the second straight night, the Polar Bears mounted a third period comeback to grab a win.
- At 11:05 of the third, Maureen Greason was on hand to tap the puck in at the right post after Jess Cloutier tried to jam in a loose puck following a backhander by Marissa Fichter from between the circles.
- Tala Glass struck for the game-winner at 16:10 of the third, collecting the puck at center ice, crossing the blue line and unleashing a shot from the left point that went high in the air and over the head of goaltender Maddie Scavotto.
By The Numbers
- Saint Anselm held advantages in shots on goal in each period and led the shot count 29-16 for the game.
- Scavotto suffered the loss with 13 saves, while Kerri St. Denis moved to 1-0-1 on the season with a 27-save afternoon for Bowdoin.
- The Polar Bears were 2-for-6 on the power play in the game after the Hawks entered the day having killed off 39-of-40 penalties on the season.
- The Polar Bears will return to action on Tuesday evening as they host Southern Maine at 7:00 p.m. in Watson Arena.