BRUNSWICK, Maine – Brooke Solomon scored a last second goal to complete a third period comeback for the Bowdoin women's hockey team in a 2-1 Friday afternoon final against UMass-Boston.
The Polar Bears improve to 2-0-1 and drop the Beacons to 4-4-2.
- Bowdoin controlled the opening period of play, taking a 10-5 shot edge, highlighted by a rush from Julie Dachille and Julia Surgenor. Dachile skated down the right side and slid a centering pass to Surgenor who took the puck near post. Rachel Myette denied the shot.
- UMass-Boston came out on the power play to begin the second period, with Katie Barry wasting no time before challenging Sophia Lattanzio. Barry received a through pass in stride, just beyond the crease, and put a shot towards the left post. Lattanzio dropped to turn away the point-blank shot.
- The Beacons got on the board 5:20 into the frame. Alli Bianchini went to bounce the puck off the back boards, instead finding a referee's skate, resulting in a free look for Emily Harris on the right. Harris went top shelf far side for the 1-0 lead.
- Barry looked for a shorthanded tally with 4:30 left to play in the period, picking up a loose puck in the neutral zone and skating towards Lattanzio. The junior goalie made a right leg kick save to deny the one-on-one.
- The Polar Bears again controlled the puck in the third frame. On the power play, Solomon fired a shot from the left point. Myette made a low glove save to keep Bowdoin off the board.
- Solomon bested Myette three minutes later with a laser from the high side of the right circle. Surgenor and Brigit Bergin connected a pair of passes before setting up Solomon for the equalizer with 6:13 to play.
- With a faceoff in Beacon territory and six seconds remaining in the game, Solomon won the faceoff and kicked the puck back to Maryanne Iodice on the point. Iodice fired a shot towards net which Solomon tipped in for a buzzer-beating goal to win the game.
By the Numbers
- Myette ended the day with 32 stops for the Beacons.
- Lattanzio made 14 saves for the Polar Bears.
- Both teams went 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Bowdoin travels to Saint Anselm tomorrow afternoon for a 3:00 p.m. game.
- The Beacons host Johnson & Wales at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.