BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Trinity women's ice hockey team capped a late comeback with an overtime goal to down host Bowdoin 4-3 on Friday night.
The Polar Bears (8-12-2, 5-9-1 NESCAC) rallied from a two-goal deficit to take a 3-2 lead late into the final period. The Bantams improve to 13-8-2 (6-7-2 NESCAC) after tying the game in the final five minutes of regulation.
- Cheeky Herr scored the first goal for Trinity 10:40 into the game. Herr deflected the puck the on left side after Delaney Harrop ripped a shot from the point.
- Herr tallied an assist on Emma Tani's goal six minutes later. Tani collected the puck off the back boards and cut up towards the right post, finding the space between skate and pipe to go ahead 2-0.
- Brigit Bergin cut Trinity's lead in half 5:32 into the second. Following a promising look by Miranda Bell, Ariana Bourque fed Bergin in the high slot for a slap shot. Bergin found the top right shelf.
- Following a faceoff in Bowdoin's defensive zone, the puck kicked back to Jessica Bowen who skated the length of the ice for a one-one-one with Sydney Belinskas. Bowen wristed a shot for the shorthanded equalizer with 5:26 to play in the second.
- Bowdoin took its first lead of the game 7:36 into the final period. Maryanne Iodice won a faceoff on the left side and fed Brooke Solomon. Solomon traded the puck with Iodice again, eventually wristing a shot past Belinskas.
- The Bantams evened the score with five minutes to play off a perfectly executed two-on-goal. Kelcie Finn carried down the right side and slid a pass to Melissa Maffeo for an open shot. Maffeo went bar down on the far side, netting the equalizer.
- Lan Crofton made back-to-back saves in the final seconds to force overtime, making a pair of stops despite a screen and limited visibility.
- Bourque wrapped around behind the Trinity net seconds into overtime, feeding Miranda Bell on the far post. A final stretch by Belinskas denied Bell's bid on the left.
- Maffeo found Shannon Farrell for the game-winner 3:23 into overtime. Farrell put the puck past Crofton with a poke on the right side.
By the Numbers
- Belinskas earned the win with 25 stops in net for Trinity.
- Crofton made 26 saves for Bowdoin.
- Both teams went 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Bowdoin and Trinity faceoff again tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. in the final game of the regular season.