NORTHFIELD, Vt. – The Norwich women's ice hockey team used a four goal second period to skate away with the 6-0 win over Bowdoin on Friday night in Vermont.
The Polar Bears (1-3) held the Cadets (7-2) to one goal in the opening period before Norwich found the back of the net four times in the middle frame.
- Muranda Toews scored the first goal of the game with under three minutes to play in the opening period. Bryn Labbe battled a Bowdoin defender behind the net and fed Toews low in the slot, capitalizing on a one-on-one with Lan Crofton to go ahead 1-0.
- Madeline Hall broke up a promising breakaway attempt by Madison Gallagher seven minutes into the second period.
- Robyn Foley started the Cadets four goal period with a solo effort down the left side 7:59 into the frame. Foley pulled to her forehand and found the far post.
- Rachel Bellio scored seven minutes later as she split the defense coming into Bowdoin's defensive zone. Bellio flipped a backhanded shot high to the blocker side.
- The Cadets added another goal in the 17th minute. Erin Joyce started the play on the left side and centered to Foley in the slot who moved the puck forward for Sarah Schwenzfeier. With the puck on the doorstep, Schwenzfeier buried Norwich's fourth of the game.
- Labbe set up Adelle Murphy's power play goal one minute later. Labbe teed up a shot inside the blue line that Murphy tipped over the goalie for the 5-0 lead.
- With 2:50 remaining in the game Heidi Amato cleaned up a rebound to put the Cadets up 6-0.
By the Numbers
- The Cadets held a 32-23 edge in shots over Bowdoin.
- Bowdoin was unable to convert on any of its three power play opportunities as Norwich went 1-for-3.
- Laurie King made 23 saves in a complete game performance to earn the shutout.
- Crofton played 38:33 and made 16 saves before being relieved by Sophia Lattanzio who made ten stops.
- Bowdoin plays tomorrow afternoon at Saint Anselm beginning at 1:00 p.m.
- The Cadets play at Amherst on December 9 with a 7:00 p.m. start.