BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's basketball team rolled SUNY New Paltz in the Third Round of the NCAA Division III Tournament on Friday evening, 81-50.
The Polar Bears (29-1) advance to the sectional final tomorrow where they will battle Ithaca (25-5) for a trip to the national semifinals at 7:00 p.m. in Morrell Gymnasium. Tickets will be available at the door beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears were hot in the early going, riding early three-pointers from Hannah Graham and Abby Kelly, to take a 14-2 lead before a packed Morrell Gymnasium.
- Each Bowdoin starter scored during their 14-2 surge. Taylor Choate started the scoring off with a driving layup. Abby Kelly had five quick points. Maddie Hasson was able to grab an offensive rebound and score the layup. Samantha Roy added a smooth euro-step lay in. Hannah Graham also contributed a three in the run. The Polar Bear starters were ready for action.
- SUNY New Paltz was able to cut the Bowdoin lead to 16-11, going on a 9-2 run highlighted by two Lindsay Bettke three-pointers.
- The Hawks fought back thanks to long-range shooting as four three pointers kept the visitors within striking distance, 33-27, at halftime.
- Bowdoin put the contest out of reach in the third quarter, opening on an 18-4 run, sparked by three-pointers from Maddie Hasson, Samantha Roy and Moira Train.
- The Polar Bears did not let up, as they began the fourth quarter on a 16-2 run, pushing their lead to 69-39 with 5:10 left to play.
- Bowdoin never trailed in the game ankd led by as many as 32 points in the win.
By The Numbers
- Maddie Hasson led the way, pacing all scorers with 19 points. She also added 13 rebounds (eight offensive) as she posted a double-double.
- Abby Kelly pitched in 13 points for Bowdoin as every Polar Bear stepped on the floor tonight for Bowdoin as all 14 players got playing time, with 11 in the scoring column.
- Marion Dietz was the team-high scorer for New Paltz with 13 points. Rachel Simon added 11 points to go along with eight rebounds in the game for the Hawks.
- The Polar Bears were stout defensively, holding the Hawks to just 19-of-75 shooting on the night.
- Bowdoin was able to out-rebound New Paltz by a total of 56-34.
- The Polar Bears shot 29-of-62 (46.8%) from the field in the victory.
- Bowdoin battles Ithaca in the sectional final Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. Tickets will go on sale in the Buck Center beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears will be looking for their second-straight "Final Four" and third overall. Ithaca will be making their second "Elite Eight" showing and in search of its first trip to the "Final Four".
- The game will be carried live on the Northeast Sports Network.