BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's basketball team clinched the top seed for the 2019 NESCAC Tournament with a 69-58 win over Connecticut College on Friday evening at Morrell Gymnasium.
The top-ranked Polar Bears (23-0, 9-0 NESCAC) pulled away from the Camels (12-10, 3-6 NESCAC) in the second half to win the conference's top seed for the first time since 2009.
- Hot shooting by Conn. College gave the Camels a first quarter lead. The Camels connected on a trio of three-pointers and shot 46.7% from the field to take a 17-15 advantage after ten minutes.
- Bowdoin hit their stride in the second quarter, out-scoring the Camels by nine and hitting on 69% from the field. Sparked by seven points from Abby Kelly, the Polar Bears extended their lead to 37-30 at the break.
- Conn. College stayed within striking distance in the third period, cutting the Bowdoin lead to 41-36 following a Margaret Corcoran three-pointer.
- But the Polar Bears answered with a 8-1 run to push the lead to double figures as Maddie Hasson tallied seven points in the period to give the hosts a 55-42 lead.
- Bowdoin led by as many as 19 points in the fourth quarter on their way to the win.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin dominated the boards, holding a 49-23 edge in rebounding, scoring 15 second-chance points.
- The Polar Bears finished at 45% from the field and held Conn. College to 39% for the game.
- Abby Kelly had 18 points and five rebounds while Samantha Roy posted 16 points, eight rebounds and two steals.
- Maddie Hasson scored 17 points with five caroms while Cordelia Stewart racked up seven points, seven rebounds and three blocks.
- Caroline Pangallo led all scorers with 20 points for the Camels on 8-14 from the field.
- Kyle Caouette had 14 points for the Camels.
- Both teams will close out their regular season schedule on Sunday as Bowdoin hosts Wesleyan at 3:00 p.m.
- Connecticut College will head to Waterville to play Colby in a de facto play-in game for the NESCAC Tournament at 3:00 p.m. Saturday.