BRUNSWICK, Maine – The top-ranked Bowdoin College women's basketball team returned from break with a 72-49 victory over Wheaton in the opening round of the Bowdoin Invitational on Saturday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears move to 9-0 with the win while Wheaton falls to 5-5 overall. The Polar Bears will face Maine Maritime in the title match of the invitational on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. Wheaton will play Cedar Crest in the consolation game at 2:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears jumped to a 12-2 lead and never trailed by less than double digits for the remainder of the game.
- Bowdoin scored the first ten points of the contest, including four from Taylor Choate to take an early edge.
- The Polar Bears owned a 16-2 lead after one quarter and 35-13 lead at intermission.
- The Lyons hit 50% of their shots from the field in the third quarter to keep the margin respectable.
- Bowdoin led by as many as 26 points in the fourth quarter on their way to the win.
By The Numbers
- Maddie Hasson led all players with a game-high 17 points to go with four steals for Bowdoin.
- Taylor Choate had 16 points, six assists and two steals while Abby Kelly had 13 points, seven boards and five assists.
- Sadie Shore led Wheaton with nine points.
- Bowdoin held the Lyons to just 32% shooting for the game and the Polar Bears finished at 45% shooting despite a 4-24 effort (16%) from three-point range.
- Maine Maritime outsored Cedar Crest 51-16 in the second half of an 87-37 win in game two of the invitational on Saturday evening. Senior Megan McLean scored a career-high 23 points in the win.