BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's basketball team scored a school-record 63 points in the first half and coasted to a 107-53 win over Bates on Saturday in Morrell Gymnasium.
The top-ranked Polar Bears finish the first semester with an 8-0 record and average margin of victory of 42.2 points. The Bobcats fall to 3-3 with the loss. The teams will play their NESCAC conference game in Lewiston on January 4.
- The Polar Bears put the contest out of reach early, hitting their first four shots and taking a 10-0 lead less than two minutes into the game.
- Bowdoin led 23-3 less than six minutes into the game and held a 28-10 lead after one period.
- The Polar Bears continued their red-hot shooting in the second quarter, outscoring Bates 35-7 and connected on 66% from the field.
- In all, Bowdoin shot 60% from the field in the first half and 72.7% (8-11) from three-point range to hold a 63-17 advantage at halftime. The 63 first-half points were a Bowdoin school record, breaking the mark of 58 set against Maine-Farmington in 2016.
- The Polar Bears stretched the lead to as many as 58 points in the second half.
By The Numbers
- As prolific as Bowdoin's offense was, the Polar Bears also held Bates to just 31% from the field and forced 14 turnovers while also holding a 53-27 advantage in rebounding.
- Thirteen different Polar Bears scored, including five in double-figures. Taylor Choate scored a game-high 15 points while Moira Train added 11 points off the bench.
- Sela Kay, Maddie Hasson and Abby Kelly each added 10 points in the victory. Kelly also added a game-high eight rebounds while Kay and Samantha Roy had four assist each.
- Bowdoin ended the game 10-16 (62.5%) from three-point range and 58.6% from the field.
- Bates was led by 12 points from Mia Roy in the loss. Amaari Williams had 11 points and six rebounds for the Bobcats.
- Bowdoin is off until late December when they will host the Bowdoin Invitational on December 29-30 in Morrell Gymnasium. The first day will feature Bowdoin-Wheaton (4:00 p.m.) followed by Maine Maritime-Cedar Crest (6:00 p.m.). Consolation (2:00 p.m.) and Championship (4:00 p.m.) games will follow the next day.
- Bates returns to action on December 31 at Springfield College at 1:00 p.m.