BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's basketball team won their season opening in convincing fashion over Regis on Friday on the opening night of the Coastal Classic Tip-Off Tournament, 87-22.
The Polar Bears (1-0) are ranked second in the latest Division III poll. Regis falls to 0-1 with the loss.
- The Polar Bears jumped to a 15-0 lead in the first seven minutes thanks to a pair of three-pointers from first-year Sela Kay and led 20-2 after the first quarter.
- Bowdoin continued to roll in the second quarter, using a 21-4 surge to open the quarter and going into the half leading 41-12.
- The Polar Bears only shot 35% from the field in the opening half, but outrebounded Regis 28-16 in the half and cashed in for 12 second chance points.
- Bowdoin's 65-point lead at the buzzer was their largest lead of the game.
By The Numbers
- First-year Sela Kay led the Polar Bears with 15 points off the bench, shooting 5-6 from the field including 3-3 from three-point range.
- Five Polar Bears saw double digits, including Abby Kelly (12), Taylor Choate (10), Maddie Hasson (11) and Annie Boasberg (10).
- Regis was led by six points from Katryna Veasey.
- The Polar Bears shot 43% for the contest and held the Pride to just 16% from the field. Bowdoin also owned a 53-31 edge in rebounding and forced 30 Regis turnovers, converting them into 38 points.
- The teams will finish up the Coastal Classic on Saturday with Regis facing Colby at 2:00 p.m. followed by Bowdoin and Colby-Sawyer at 4:00 p.m.