NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Bowdoin College women's basketball team got out to an early lead and held off a surging Connecticut College in a 84-63 victory Friday night.
The third-ranked Polar Bears never trailed as they improve to 22-1 (8-1 NESCAC). Connecticut College falls to 14-8 (3-6 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin got the scoring going early as they took a 15-4 lead over Conn. midway through the first quarter.
- The Polar Bears' aggressive defense led to six early Camel turnovers, resulting in eight quick points for Bowdoin.
- Bowdoin kept the pressure on throughout the half, resulting in 17 forced Conn. turnovers, which the Polar Bears capitalized on for 18 points.
- A 10-3 first quarter-closing run saw Conn. diminish the Bowdoin lead to 19-13.
- Bowdoin was able to make a late second quarter 10-0 run, increasing their lead to 37-20 with 4:15 left in the half.
- The Polar Bears had great production off the bench in the first half with 22 points, led by Abby Kelly with 13, taking a 44-29 lead into the break.
- Conn. used a 16-2 run to close the gap to five points late in the third quarter.
- Bowdoin saw their lead increase to as many as 21 points on their way to victory.
By The Numbers
- Abby Kelly was the game-high scorer with 26 points off the bench for the Polar Bears. She also added six rebounds.
- Cordelia Stewart pitched in 17 points from 7-8 shooting to go along with eight boards for Bowdoin.
- Kylie Caoette was the leading scorer for the Camels with 20 points, snagging five rebounds as well.
- Mairead Hynes added 13 points and nine rebounds.
- The Polar Bears were able to take advantage of 29 Conn. turnovers, converting those into 32 points.
- Bowdoin returns to action for a 3:00pm Saturday conference game at Wesleyan.
- Next up on the schedule for Connecticut College they will play Colby at home, scheduled at 3:00pm.