AMHERST, Mass. - The Tufts University women's basketball team jumped to an early lead and survived a late Bowdoin rally to take a 49-44 win in the NESCAC Semifinals on Saturday at Amherst College on Saturday afternoon.
The Jumbos (25-1) advance to Sunday's NESCAC Championship game against the Purple & White while the Polar Bears (21-4) are very likely to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament when selections are announced on Monday afternoon.
- In what proved to be the difference in the game, Tufts suffocated Bowdoin in the opening quarter and took a 14-5 lead after one period.
- The Jumbos extended their lead to 28-15 at halftime and carried a 38-26 edge into the fourth quarter.
- Bowdoin made a late push, outscoring Tufts 18-11 in the final quarter, but could get no closer than five points as the Jumbos clung to the win.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin struggled from long-distance (3-23, 13% from three-point range) in the loss while Tufts ended at 44% from long range (8-18).
- The Polar Bears were able to hold Tufts to just 34% shooting overall and actually out-rebounded the Jumbos 45-38 in the game.
- Lauren Petit was the lone player from either team to reach double-digits in the defensive struggle, finishing with ten. Marle Curle scored nine and dished out four assists. Ally Slifen led the team with seven rebounds.
- Jacqueline Knapp was Tufts leading scoring with nine points.
- The NCAA will announce selections for the 2017 Division III Women's Basketball Tournament at 2:30 p.m. on ncaa.com