CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The Bowdoin College women's basketball team used a big third quarter to pull away for a 69-55 win at MIT on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears claim a victory in their final contest of 2015 and improve to 7-2 this season. The Engineers fall to 6-4 overall with the setback.
- Bowdoin held a thin 25-22 lead at halftime thanks to a late surge, keyed by an Aly Silfen three-pointer right before the break
- MIT trimmed the lead to a single point on two occasions early in the third quarter before Bowdoin mounted its decisive run
- After MIT's Kristen Ngan cut the Bowdoin lead to 27-26 with 8:12 left in the third quarter, Bowdoin rolled off an 11-0 run to take command
- Kate Kerrigan sparked the surge with seven points in the run, including a three-pointer, that gave the Polar Bears a 38-26 lead with five minutes to play in the third period
- Bowdoin's lead stayed in double digits for the remainder of the contest as the Polar Bears would lead by as many as 18 points
By The Numbers
- Shannon Brady led Bowdoin with 18 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks in the win while Kate Kerrigan added 12 points, eight assists and seven rebounds
- MIT's Sabrina Dammis led all players with 20 points and 13 rebounds in the loss
- Bowdoin held a 35-29 edge in rebounding for the game and got 23 points from their bench compared to six for MIT
- The Polar Bears also converted 22 points off MIT turnovers in the win
- Bowdoin will return to action on Saturday, January 2 as they travel to play at Bates at 2:00 p.m.