BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team locked up the second seed in the NESCAC East standings following a 5-1 win over Bates to close out the regular season.
The Polar Bears are 26-10 (8-4 NESCAC) after sweeping the three-game series against the Bobcats (14-20, 5-7 NESCAC).
- The Bobcats scored first in each of the three games during the weekend, including Sunday's third inning RBI single. Janell Sato singled up the middle to plate Caroline Bass for a 1-0 lead.
- Bowdoin responded in the fifth inning as Katelyn Cox singled up the middle to plate Caroline Sablone.
- It took eight innings to decide a winner, with Bowdoin scoring four runs in the eighth to knotch the win. Ruby Siltanen had a two-run double to left to break the deadlock.
- Sablone drove in Siltanen and Cox later plated Sablone.
By the Numbers
- Siltanen pitched all eight innings and allowed seven hits with five strikeouts.
- Payton Buxton allowed 14 hits and five runs.
- Kasey Cunningham joined Cox with a stolen base.
- Karlye Pallotta went 2-for-5. Allison Rutz went 3-for-4, while both Siltanen and Sablone were 2-for-4.
- Bass and Sato were both 2-for-4 for Bates.
- The second-seeded Polar Bears will play against the third-seeded NESCAC West Amherst team at noon on Saturday. All playoff games are being played at Tufts.