BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team earned a Senior Day sweep of Bates, capped by a walkoff homerun by Maddie Rouhana in game two.
The Polar Bears climb to 25-10 (7-4) with a 7-2 win in game one and 7-5 win in game two. The Bobcats are 13-19 (4-6 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Mary Collette platted the day's first run with a sacrifice fly to left, that drove in Caroline Bass.
- Bowdoin responded in the bottom half of the inning off Kasey Cunningham's sacrifice bunt.
- With runners on second and third, in the third, Janell Sato grounded out to second but drove in a run for a 2-1 Bates lead.
- The Polar Bears erupted for four runs in the fourth inning. Caroline Rice tagged an RBI double and Ruby Siltanen an RBI single up the middle. Allison Rutz later scored on a passed ball.
- Caroline Sablone rounded out the inning with an RBI single to center.
- Rouhana had her first RBI of the day, singling to right, and plated Kasey Cunningham. Karlye Pallotta later grounded out to shortstop, but drove in a run.
- Siltanen pitched a complete game for the Polar Bears and allowed six hits with seven strikeouts.
- Kirsten Pelletier pitched five innings and allowed eight hits with five strikeouts. Danielle Polirer pitched the final inning and allowed one hit.
- Cunningham, Rice and Rouhana all had stolen bases for Bowdoin. Bass and Sato each had a stolen base for Bates.
- Pallotta tagged a triple. Cunningham and Siltanen both went 2-for-3.
Game Two Highlights
- The Bobcats scored in the first inning as Bass took home on a wild pitch.
- Samantha Valdivia tied the game with a two-run single through the left side in the bottom of the first.
- Bates regained the lead in the second as Emily Samar stole second and drew the throw from the catcher, allowing Julia Panepinto to take home.
- Panepinto extended the Bates lead with a two-run double in the third.
- Bowdoin cut the deficit to one in the third with Rice hitting a hard ball to shortstop, resulting in a rushed throw off the mark that allowed Pallotta to score.
- Panepinto had her third double of the game in the fifth for another RBI.
- Bowdoin trailed 5-3 heading into the seventh and rallied for the win. Valdivia hit a single up the middle that drove in one run to get the Polar Bears started. Rouhana launched a walkoff three-run homer over the centerfield fence.
- Pelletier pitched a complete game for Bates and allowed nine hits with three strikeouts.
- Samantha Roy started the game for Bowdoin and pitched three innings with three hits and as many strikeouts. Rutz pitched one inning and allowed five hits. Siltanen closed out the game by allowing only one hit and fanning three.
- Panepinto went 3-for-4 with three doubles and three RBI. Andrea Russo, Emily Samara, Kennedy Ishii, and Bass all had a stolen base. Russo also went 2-for4.
- Rice and Valdivia each had a stolen base. Pallotta went 2-for-3, while Rice and Valdivia went 2-for-4. Valdivia and Rouhana each had three RBI.
- The two teams close out the series tomorrow at Bates at 2:00 p.m.