BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team extended its win streak to ten straight games with a doubleheader sweep of UNE on Tuesday afternoon.
The Polar Bears improve to 23-10 on the year with a 5-3 game one victory and 7-2 win in game two. The Nor'Easters are 21-14.
Game One Highlights
- The Polar Bears jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Allison Rutz put Bowdoin on the board with a double down the left field line, plating Karlye Pallotta.
- Rutz later scored on a Caroline Rice popup to second that resulted in an error.
- The Nor'Easters tied the game in the fourth. Sarah Lachapelle hit an RBI single and Anna Sessa drove in another run, chipping a ball to shortstop.
- UNE took its only lead of the day in the fifth. Ali Kuechler popped the ball up in the infield and a fielding communication error allowed Taylor Depot to score from third.
- Maddie Rouhana took the lead back for Bowdoin with a three-run homer to left in the bottom half of the inning.
- Rutz pitched four innings for Bowdoin and allowed two runs with six hits and a pair of strikeouts. Samantha Roy pitched the final three, allowing one run off two hits with as many strikeouts.
- Sydnee Bessler and Melissa Sprague each pitched three innings with three strikeouts. Bessler allowed five hits and Sprague one.
- Andrea Dorsa had two stolen bases for Bowdoin. Alexis Kapsambelis had one for UNE.
- Pallotta went 2-for-4 at the plate. Andrew Gosper and Lachapelle both went 2-for-4 for UNE.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin scored three runs in the bottom of the second to take the lead. Rouhana hit an RBI triple down the right field line to get the Polar Bears started. Ruby Siltanen and Pallotta both had RBI singles.
- Rouhana added another RBI to her total, singling to center in the third, to drive in Samantha Valdivia.
- The Nor'Easters plated a pair in the fourth. With the bases loaded, Kaitlin Carson singled up the middle to drive in one. Alexis Kapsambelis grounded out to third, but plated Jordan Strum in the process.
- The Polar Bears scored a run in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings to put the game away. Valdivia and Katelyn Cox both had RBI singles. Rouhana added an RBI double.
- Siltanen pitched a complete game and allowed six hits with nine strikeouts.
- Strum and Alie Martell each pitched three innings. Strum allowed eight hits and Martell six. Each pitcher fanned one batter.
- Pallotta and Valdivia each had a stolen base. Kasey Cunningham grabbed a pair of stolen bases.
- Rouhana went 4-for-4 with three RBI.
- The Polar Bears play at Bates on Friday at 4:00 p.m.
- The Nor'Easters play Thomas on Thursday in Waterville.