BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team extended its win-streak eight games with a pair of victories over visiting Saint Joseph's College on Tuesday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (21-10) earned a 6-2 victory in game one and pinned a 15-1 setback on the Monks (10-13) in game two.
Game One Highlights
- The Monks quickly went ahead 1-0 in the top of the first as Meghan Elliott doubled down the left field line for an RBI.
- Ruby Siltanen evened the score for Bowdoin with a solo homer in the second.
- The Polar Bears had their first lead of the day as Andrea Dorsa doubled to center in the fourth to plate Natasha Fingar.
- Saint Joseph's knotted the game at 2-2 in the top of the fifth off an RBI double to right from Melodie Bailey.
- Allison Rutz scored on a passed ball in the bottom half of the inning to give Bowdoin the lead.
- Rutz later tagged a two-run single in the sixth. Caroline Rice drove in Rutz with a double to center.
- Rutz and Siltanen both went 2-for-3. Rice went 3-for-3 and Samantha Valdivia was 2-for-4.
- Meghan Elliott was the lone Monk with multiple hits, going 2-for-4.
- Maddison Charest, Maizie Lee, Elliott, and Bailey all had doubles.
- Rutz pitched four innings with six hits allowed and a pair of strikeouts. Samantha Roy pitched the final three innings with two hits and as many strikeouts.
- Kate Whitney pitched five innings, surrendering seven hits, before Caitlyn King pitched the final inning with four hits allowed.
Game Two Highlights
- Again, the Monks scored in the first inning. Bailey doubled to left and drove in Charest.
- Maddie Rouhana gave Bowdoin the lead with a two-run double down the left field line in the bottom half of the inning.
- Rice and Valdivia both had RBI singles in the second.
- Bowdoin exploded for 11 runs in the fourth to put the game away. Rice and Rutz each tagged an RBI double and Rouhana had a two-run single.
- The Polar Bears hit three fourth inning homeruns, beginning with Caroline Sablone's two-run shot to left.
- Valdivia hit a grand slam and Rutz followed with a solo shot.
- Siltanen pitched five innings and allowed four hits with five strikeouts.
- Valdivia had five RBI and Rouhana had four.
- Bowdoin combined for 16 hits, with every player recording at least one.
- Charest went 2-for-2 for the Monks and added a stolen base.
- The Monks play a doubleheader on Friday against Simmons at home.
- Bowdoin host Wesleyan at noon on Saturday for a non-conference matchup.