WATERVILLE, Maine – Samantha Roy struck out 13 Colby batters to lead the Bowdoin softball team to an 8-1 win on Friday afternoon.
The Polar Bears improve to 15-10 overall with a 3-4 mark in NESCAC play. The Mules are 4-14 (0-4 NESCAC).
- Roy struck out two batters per inning for the first four innings of action.
- Bowdoin finally got on the board in the bottom of the fifth with a solo homerun by Samantha Valdivia.
- The Polar Bears bats came alive in the remainder of the inning, scoring seven runs in total. A pair of fielding errors accounted for two more runs and Caroline Rice had a wo-run single to left.
- Allison Rutz tagged an RBI double to right center and Maddie Rouhana allowed Rutz to later score, singling before the Mules could end the inning.
- Colby spoiled the clean sheet with a run in the sixth. Holly Lallis had one of the team's two hits on the day to reach first and quickly stole second. Lallis ended up on third following a wild pitch and scored on an error.
- Bowdoin scored one final run in the bottom half of the inning. Caroline Sablone tripled to right and came around to score on Kasey Cunningham's single up the middle.
By the Numbers
- Roy totaled 13 K's with just two hits allowed. Roy did not walk a single batter.
- Rutz hit a double, Sablone a triple, and Valdivia the homer.
- Rice led the team with two RBI. Cunningham had two stolen bases.
- The teams complete the series with a doubleheader tomorrow at noon at Colby.