GORHAM, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team split its Thursday night doubleheader at USM, falling 3-1 in the opener before rebounding with a 9-4 win in game two.
The Polar Bears head home with a 14-10 record. The Huskies are 12-9.
Game One Highlights
- The Polar Bears and Huskies remained scoreless until the hosts plated a run in the bottom of the third. Kaitlyn Nelson reached first on a fielding error and stole second to put herself into scoring position. Brooke Cross followed up with an RBI double down the leftfield line.
- Maddie Rouhana hit a leadoff double to left center to begin the fifth and Ruby Siltanen drove her home, singling through the left side.
- Kayleigh Bohan blasted a two-run homer in the sixth to give USM the 3-1 lead.
- Siltanen suffered the loss in the circle with three hits allowed, while fanning eight.
- Kasey Cunningham, Samantha Valdivia, Rouhana, and Siltanen all had hits in the game.
- Cunningham had a stolen base.
- Madison Greene pitched all seven innings for USM and allowed four hits while striking out one.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin went up 1-0 in the top of the fourth. With runners on second and third, Natasha Fingar sent a sacrifice fly to center to give Bowdoin the lead.
- USM tied the game in the bottom half of the inning. Brynn Hink led off the inning with a double and came around to score on Kayleigh Boan's single to center.
- The Polar Bears regained the lead with a four run fifth inning. Andrea Dorsa started the scoring off a wild pitch.
- Rouhana cranked a single through the left side to drive in two runs and Valdivia recorded an RBI groundout before the Huskies could retire the side.
- Southern Maine chipped away at the deficit with an RBI single up the middle by Hannah Kenney, followed by a two-run single from Alexis Brown.
- The Polar Bears continued to score in the sixth inning as Caroline Rice tagged a bases loaded two-run single to left and Rouhana had an RBI single. Cunningham scored on a wild pitch.
- Samantha Roy retired the side in order to close out the ninth inning, fanning a pair in the process.
- Kate Hoadley pitched the first five innings and allowed five hits with as many strikeouts.
- Roy pitched the final two innings, fanning three and allowing no hits.
- Cunningham and Dorsa both went 3-for-4 at the top of the lineup. The duo and Rouhana all had a stolen base.
- Rouhana led the way with three RBI off two hits.
- The Polar Bears play at Colby on Friday at 4:00 p.m. The game was moved to Waterville due to field conditions in Brunswick.