MEDFORD, Mass. – The Bowdoin softball team split its Saturday doubleheader with Tufts, winning the first game 6-2 before falling 8-0 in the second.
The Polar Bears return to Brunswick with a 13-9 (2-4 NESCAC) mark. The Jumbos are 19-4 (5-1 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin took a 2-0 lead in the first inning off a two-run double by Allison Rutz.
- Rutz drove in another run in the third, singling up the middle, plating Caroline Rice.
- The Jumbos pushed a pair of runs across the plate in the fourth. Alexis Abouldafia doubled to left and put Tufts on the board.
- Samantha Valdivia answered with a two-run single in the bottom half of the inning.
- Katelyn Cox added a sacrifice fly in the fifth to conclude the game's scoring.
- Kasey Cunningham had two stolen bases and Ruby Siltanen had one.
- Siltanen pitched all seven innings with eight hits allowed and four strikeouts.
- Rice and Rutz both went 2-for-3.
Game Two Highlights
- The Jumbos ran away with game two. A five-run explosion in the fifth pushed Tufts lead to 8-0 and Bowdoin was unable to answer and extend the game.
- Aboulafia hit an RBI double to right in the first and Maggie Lebinski added a two-run homer in the second.
- All five runs in the fifth inning were unearned runs.
- Kristi Van Meter notched the no-hitter with eight strikeouts in five innings of work for the Jumbos.
- Samantha Roy, Rutz, and Kate Hoadley were in the circle for Bowdoin.
- The Polar Bears are scheduled to play Thomas College on Monday afternoon at Pickard Field with a 3:30 p.m. start.