HARTFORD, Conn. – The Bowdoin softball team opened NESCAC play with a 7-2 win over host Trinity on Friday afternoon.
The Polar Bears are 12-5 on the year and 1-0 in conference play. The Bantams are 7-3 (0-1 NESCAC) to open the conference slate.
- Bowdoin went up 2-0 on a two-run blast by Allison Rutz in the top of the second.
- Jenna Thomas answered for the Bantams, trimming the lead to 2-1, win a solo homer in the third.
- Rutz scored in the fourth on an error, to pushed the score to 3-1.
- Trinity again pulled within one off a solo homerun, this time off the bat of Gillian Birk.
- Bowdoin scored three in the fifth, sparked by a two-run triple from Caroline Rice. Samantha Valdivia sent a sacrifice fly to center to drive in Rice.
- Natasha Fingar tagged a solo homerun in the seventh to extend Bowdoin's lead to 7-2.
By the Numbers
- Maddie Rouhana and Rutz each doubled for the Polar Bears. Rice went 2-for-4 with the triple.
- Rutz went 3-for-3 with a double and homer and two RBI.
- Kasey Cunningham and Karlye Pallotta both went 2-for-3 at the top of the lineup.
- Cunningham had a stolen base.
- Samantha Roy improved to 4-1 with a complete game in the circle. Roy allowed six hits with four strikeouts and a walk.
- The Polar Bears and Bantams play a doubleheader on Saturday at noon.