CLERMONT, Fla. – The Bowdoin softball team suffered its first loss of the season in a walkoff 3-2 setback to Hope, but bounced back with a 5-2 win over Gordon on Friday evening.
The Polar Bears are 5-1 and the Flying Dutch open the year at 2-0. The Gordon Lions are 6-6.
Game One Highlights
- The Polar Bears went ahead 1-0 in the top of the second off a Samantha Valdivia double to center.
- Maddie Rouhana added a solo shot to center in the fourth to double the Polar Bears run tally.
- The Flying Dutch cut the deficit in half with a double in the bottom half of the inning.
- Arinn King plated the game-tying run in the seventh, singling up the middle. King eventually became the winning run as Shay Pinhey tagged a walkoff single to center, driving in King.
- Kate Hoadley pitched the complete game for the Polar Bears, allowing seven hits with a pair of walks and three K's.
- Kasey Cunningham and Karlye Pallotta each had a stolen base.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin came back from an early deficit to take a 2-1 lead in the sixth. Valdivia tripled to right and drove in Natasha Fingar to put the Polar Bears on the board.
- Ruby Siltanen singled through the left side and drove in Valdivia for the lead.
- With the bases loaded in the top of the seventh, Fingar doubled to right and plated all three runners to give the Polar Bears breathing room heading into the Lions final at bats.
- Gordon got one run back as Laura Bieren singled up the middle.
- Allison Rutz started the game in the circle and pitched four innings, allowing four hits with three strikeouts. Siltanen pitched 1.2 innings and Samantha Roy rounded out the day.
- Cunningham and Valdivia each tagged a double, while Fingar had two. Pallotta and Valdivia each hit a triple.
- The Polar Bears are off until Sunday with a double header against Linfield and Clarkson.