CLERMONT, Fla. – The Bowdoin softball team continued its perfect start with a 5-4 win over Stockton and 8-0 victory against Smith on Thursday afternoon.
The Polar Bears improve to 4-0 on the young season. The Osprey are 4-3 and the Pioneers are 3-5.
Game One Highlights
- Stockton went up 2-0 in the top of the second, but Bowdoin responded with tying runs in the third.
- Caroline Rice hit a two-run blast to right center to knot the game at 2-2.
- The Osprey answered in the top of the following inning as Casey Schieda doubled to left and drove in one run.
- Rice again tied the game, this time with a double to right in the fifth.
- Bowdoin took its only lead of the game in the bottom of the sixth. Maddie Rouhana sent a sacrifice fly to right and allowed Samantha Valdivia to score. Caroline Sablone scored on the play, capitalizing on a throwing error.
- Stockton got one run back in their final inning at bat, as Meg Murzello singled to center.
- Samantha Roy started the game and pitched 5.1 innings with three strikeouts. Ruby Siltanen closed out the game in the circle to earn the win with one run allowed.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin and Smith played three scoreless innings before the Polar Bears plated a run in the fourth. Rice flew out to center, allowing Sablone to score and put Bowdoin on the board.
- The Polar Bears erupted for seven runs in the bottom of the fifth to end the game. Allison Rutz and Samantha Valdivia both scored on a wild pitch and passed ball.
- Karlye Pallotta smacked a two-run double to left and later came around to score on Kasey Cunningham's bunt single.
- Rouhana added an RBI single to scoresheet and Rutz rounded out the day with a game-ending sacrifice fly to left.
- Katelyn Cox and Pallotta both had a stolen base.
- Rutz pitched all five innings and allowed nine hits and no runs with one strikeout.
- The Polar Bears play their third consecutive day of double headers with games against Hope and Gordan on Friday evening.