Clermont, Fla. – The Bowdoin softball team opened the season with a pair of wins over Westfield State and Staten Island on Wednesday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (2-0) defeated the Owls (2-4) in a 7-1 opener and downed the Dolphins (0-2) 6-4.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin exploded for four runs in the top of the second and never looked back. Andrea Dorsa and Caroline Rice both tagged run producing doubles, with Dorsa driving in one and Rice a trio.
- In the top of the following inning, Natasha Fingar drove in Samantha Valdivia off a single to center.
- The Owls lone run came in the bottom half of the inning, capitalizing on an error off the bunt.
- Maddie Rouhana plated her first run of the year in the fourth, singling up the middle. Rice earned her fourth RBI of the day with a sacrifice fly in the sixth.
- Samantha Roy pitched six innings and allowed just one run with no walks and seven strikeouts.
- Karlye Pallotta , Rice, Fingar, and Dorsa all tagged doubles.
Game Two Highlights
- Staten Island jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning with a bases loaded walk and two run single.
- Bowdoin cut the lead to one in the third as Rouhana and Allison Rutz both hit RBI doubles.
- A fielding error in the fourth allowed Kasey Cunningham to score and tie the game.
- The Dolphins regained the lead in their next at-bat as Claudia Porcaro grounded out to short.
- Again the Polar Bears responded as Cunningham tied the game in the bottom half of the inning, laying down a bunt.
- A bases loaded walk plated Pallotta and Rice added an RBI double in the sixth.
- Valdivia, Rice, Rouhana, and Rutz all recorded doubles. Caroline Sablone and Cunningham both had a stolen base.
- The Polar Bears face Stockton and Smith on Thursday.