WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The Bowdoin softball team suffered a doubleheader sweep at Williams in a pair of close games on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears 27-11 lost the first game in a low scoring 3-1 final. The Ephs (32-6) earned a walkoff 6-5 victory in game two.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin pushed a run across the plate in the first inning. Lauren O'Shea and Caroline Rice both singled to put runners on first and second, with Allison Rutz tagging an RBI single to center.
- All the game's scoring came in the first inning as the Ephs also plated all three of their runs in the bottom half. Mackenzie Murphy singled to right center, driving in a run, and Brenna Martinez hit a two-run double.
- Kate Hoadley pitched all six innings for Bowdoin and allowed five hits.
- Rebecca Duncan struck out nine Polar Bears and allowed eight hits.
- O'Shea and Claire McCarthy both had a pair of hits.
Game Two Highlights
- The Polar Bears jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning of game two. Back-to-back singles by Rice and McCarthy put players on and Rutz doubled to left, driving in Rice.
- Natalie Edwards and Samantha Valdivia followed up with two more RBI infield singles.
- Th Ephs broke through in the bottom of the second off a two-run blast from Kirstin Mapes.
- Claire McCarthy recorded an RBI single the fifth to give Bowdoin a 4-2 edge.
- Williams answered with three runs in the fifth to take the lead. Another two-run blast paired with a solo shot to center gave the Ephs the edge.
- Ali Miller tied the game for Bowdoin with an RBI single in the sixth, but Williams earned the walkoff win with a run in the seventh.
- Samantha Roy pitched four innings for Bowdoin with five strikeouts. Ruby Siltanen fanned a pair of batters and allowed three hits. Kate Hoadley pitched the final inning.
- McCarthy, Edwards, and Miller all went 2-for-3.
- Bowdoin hosts UMaine-Farmington in a doubleheader on Monday afternoon, beginning at 3:30 p.m.