WORCESTER, Mass. – The Bowdoin softball team split its Saturday doubleheader at WPI, bouncing back from an 8-3 loss in game one for a 2-1 victory in game two.
The Polar Bears are 27-9 on the season, while WPI is 27-11.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin took a 1-0 lead on a bases loaded single by Ali Miller in the top of the second.
- WPI responded by scoring five runs in the third, all with two outs. Ama Biney stole home for the Engineers' first run. Caraline Wood added an RBI double and Renee LeClaire tacked on an RBI single.
- RiAnna May tagged a two-run homer to right before the Polar Bears could find the final out.
- Lauren O'Shea singled down the left field line and pushed two more Bowdoin runs across the plate in the fifth.
- In the bottom half of the inning, LeClaire sent a three-run shot over the right field fence.
- O'Shea and Miller both went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Allison Rutz suffered the loss, giving up five unearned runs with a pair of strikeouts. Ruby Siltanen pitched the final three innings and allowed four hits, three runs, and two strikeouts.
Game Two Highlights
- The Polar Bears turned around to win a tight game two after going down 1-0 in the third inning.
- With a runner on second, Wood singled to center and plated the game's first run.
- Bowdoin finally answered in the top of the sixth as O'Shea homered to left with a runner on, giving the Polar Bears a 2-1 edge.
- In the bottom the seventh, WPI's leadoff batter reached first and the runner made her way to second with a stolen base. A groundout pushed the tying run to third with two outs, but Kate Hoadley forced a final groundout to earn the save.
- Samantha Roy pitched five complete innings, allowing six hits with three strikeouts, Hoadley pitched the final two, fanning one and allowing no hits.
- The Polar Bears play a non-conference matchup against Williams on Sunday, beginning at noon.